Prior to reviewing the experimental method, determine the POH settings together with the student given the days ambient conditions.
- Beginning from normal cruise, reduct the power and airspeed to match the predetermined range values
- Lean the mixture as per your POHs instructions
- You may choose to adjust the power setting as appropriate for head/tailwinds
- Repeat steps from Max Range except using values for maximum endurance
- Allow Student practice and explain airspeed indications as well as aircraft status
- Prior to the flight, have a piece of paper with a T-Table on it. The columns should be Power and Airspeed
- Starting at cruise, record the power setting and airspeed
- Reduce power 100 RPM and allow the aircraft to stabilize, be patient
- Once stabilized, record airspeed
- Flight for range occurs when the greatest airspeed drops per 100 RPM
- Have the student record while you fly
- For endurance, keep reducing power until the minimum power is achieved.
- Lean mixture in both cases and point out control effectiveness
Demonstrate the next lesson if time permits. (Slow Flight)
All of this information on pilot training and flight training in Canada is also available at www.myflighttraining.ca.